Matilda Jo | Empowered Play for Girls with Big Imaginations
Make a Doll-Sized Flange Couch Pillow
Add a touch of cozy to your Sleeper Sofa with doll-sized flange couch pillows!
How to Make a Flange Couch Pillow
• Clear acrylic quilting ruler, rotary cutter & self-healing mat
• Sewing scissors
• Sewing machine
• Fabric (enough for two 5×5-inch squares for each pillow)
• Polyester fiberfill stuffing
1. Using an acrylic ruler, rotary cutter and self-healing mat, cut two 5×5-inch fabric squares.
2. Right sides together, pin squares together around all four sides. Using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, stitch all four sides together, stopping and pivoting at each corner and leaving an opening about an inch wide in the middle of the bottom of your squares.
3. Clip corners, taking care not to clip into the stitching. Trim seams to 1/8 inch. Do not trim fabric near the opening.
4. Turn pillow right side out. Use a pin to fully turn the corners.
5. Turn the edges of the opening to the inside 1/4 inch. Press.
6. Place pins on each side of the opening to help you remember not to stitch the opening closed in the next step.
7. Starting at the pin on one side of the opening, topstitch 3/8-inch from the edge around the entire square, stopping and pivoting at the corners. Stop stitching when you get around to the beginning of the opening so that you don’t stitch the opening closed.
8. Stitch again 1/8 inch from the edge, again starting and stopping at the opening.
9. Using a small handful at a time, stuff pillow with polyester fiberfill stuffing.
10. Take care to push the stuffing firmly into each of the corners, including the ones closest to the opening. Continue stuffing the pillow until it reaches your desired firmness.
11. Pin the opening closed, making sure the raw edges are still folded to the inside 1/4 inch.
12. Beginning where the inside row of stitching left off, stitch the opening closed using a 3/8-inch seam allowance. Use your hands to press down the stuffed part of the pillow to make the area near the needle as flat as possible.
13. Topstitch again 1/8 inch from the edge, again starting and stopping where your earlier stitching left off.
That’s it! Enjoy your new pillow!
Need some furniture to go with your pillows? Check out our AptOne8 PVC doll furniture plans…
Matilda’s Closet and AptOne8 are not affiliated with American Girl® or Mattel®. No endorsement is implied.
- It’s our Third Anniversary Weekend … Time for a Sale-A-Bration! - August 18, 2017
- Take 5: Tips for Sewing with Fold-Over Elastic (FOE) - June 7, 2017
- Free Printable Sewing Chart: Fraction-to-Decimal Conversions - June 1, 2017
- Take 5: Handy Sewing Reference Charts to Save & Print - November 16, 2016
- Take 5: Made Using Matilda’s Closet Patterns - October 28, 2016
- How to Use Crochet Thread for Easier Gathering - September 2, 2016
- How to Use Make an Easy No-Zipper Doll Bed Mattress - September 2, 2016
- Just A Minute: Sneak Peek at What’s Coming Soon to Club Matilda! - August 2, 2016
- Take 5: Tips & Tricks for Small Doll Sewing - July 20, 2016
- Just A Minute: A Peek Inside the Current Studio Matilda - May 10, 2016