Matilda Jo | Empowered Play for Girls with Big Imaginations
Take 5: Options for Storing & Displaying Dolls
While it’s fun to have several dolls on hand, there comes a time when you need to start thinking about how to safely store and display your collection.
My future studio will need a place to house my growing collection of American Girl™, Kidz ‘n’ Cats, Our Generation and Journey Girl dolls, so I’ve been poking around the Internet looking for ideas. Here are a few of my favorites so far…
Five Options for Storing & Displaying Dolls
1. Barbie Organizer via A Girl & a Glue Gun – A hanging shoe holder with pockets is used here to store Barbie dolls, but I can see possibilities for designing something similar with larger pockets or underarm straps that would hold 18-inch dolls.
2. Stuffed Animal Swing via It’s Always Autumn – The project shown here is for a hanging type shelving system for stuffed animals, but I can easily see it working for a collection of dolls that sit.
3. Turn a Shelf Into a Doll Bed with Clothing Storage via Make It & Love It – I’m not sure this will work in my space, but it’s something I may incorporate into my daughters’ bedroom because of its fun play possibilities.
4. American Girl Doll Storage Solution via Hubby and Me Plus 3 – This gal used dollar store plastic hooks to hang her dolls. I like that it’s a relatively cheap and easy-to-expand system. Plastic hooks also mean less potential for damage to the dolls.
5. American Girl Doll Wall Hanger via Gigi’s Doll and Craft Creations – Here they constructed a hook rack using a board and wooden dowels. Another option for those who don’t want to build something might be a ready-made coat rack, assuming you can find one with the hooks placed an appropriate distance apart for hanging dolls.
Have a doll storage and display idea to share?
I’d love to hear about it! Please share your favorite doll storage and display ideas in the comments below. Links welcome!
- Help us choose our next Thrifty Thursday freebie! - September 10, 2018
- Take 5: Made Using Matilda’s Closet Patterns - May 1, 2018
- How to Make A Doll-Sized Telescope - March 1, 2018
- It’s our Third Anniversary Weekend … Time for a Sale-A-Bration! - August 18, 2017
- Take 5: Tips for Sewing with Fold-Over Elastic (FOE) - June 7, 2017
- Free Printable Sewing Chart: Fraction-to-Decimal Conversions - June 1, 2017
- Take 5: Handy Sewing Reference Charts to Save & Print - November 16, 2016
- Take 5: Made Using Matilda’s Closet Patterns - October 28, 2016
- How to Use Crochet Thread for Easier Gathering - September 2, 2016
- How to Use Make an Easy No-Zipper Doll Bed Mattress - September 2, 2016